Design & Technology at Summerbank
Our Curriculum Intent
D&T allows pupils to solve problems, think creatively and develop ideas. D&T offers pupils a chance to use creative thinking and activity within a defined purpose and tangible outcome. We are committed to nurturing pupils’ curiosity and creativity, as well as preparing them for living in a modern world where technology is rapidly changing and advancing.
Through teaching D&T, we support pupils to:
- Develop their design and making skills.
- Develop their knowledge and understanding of design and technologies.
- Use a wide range of tools and materials.
- Learn about working safely and protective measures.
- Work individually and collaborate with other pupils in a variety of contexts.
- Develop the capability to create products of a high standard through skills and understanding.
- Evaluate products, made by themselves, their peer groups and companies.
- Explore the man-made world and encourage discussion of how we live and work within it.
- Develop an interest in and understanding of technological processes and the role of manufacturing in society.
- Learn the principles of nutrition, healthy eating and how to cook.
What our children say…
‘I love D&T lessons because I love designing and I come with new ideas’ Y4
‘I want to be a designer when I am older because I enjoy designing new things’ Y4
‘I designed a Katie Morag cushion and I used the running stitch to make the pouch’ Y2
‘I enjoy making the product and using the equipment’ Y5
I learn new things, how to sew and see if I can make it better’ Y5
I made a monster and I designed it so it opens his mouth with the air we blew into the balloon’ Y3
‘I really enjoyed planning,designing and making my monster model’ Y3