Music at Summerbank
Our Curriculum Intent
We understand that music can inspire and motivate children, and play an important role in their personal development. Music can also help children develop a greater appreciation of the world we live in, by understanding different cultures and societies through music.
We deliver a broad and balanced music curriculum, in line with national requirements and The Model Music Curriculum, which enables pupils to:
- Perform, listen to, review and evaluate music across a range of historical periods, genres styles and traditions, including the works of the great composers and musicians.
- Learn to sing and use their voices.
- Create and compose music on their own and alongside their peers.
- Have the opportunities to learn a musical instrument, use technology properly and to progress to the next level of musical excellence.
- Understand and explore how music is created, produced and communicated, including through the inter-related dimensions: pitch, duration, dynamics, tempo, timbre, texture, structure and appropriate musical notations.