Summerbank Primary Academy understands that, under the Equality Act 2010, all schools have a duty to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation.
- Advance equality between different groups.
- Foster good relations between different groups.
- Promote mental health and wellbeing.
Our setting’s overall values are underpinned by our statutory duties under the Equality Act 2010. We are dedicated to ensuring that every pupil receives an education that offers them the best chance at fulfilling their potential, and to promoting mental wellbeing amongst our pupils. We are committed to supporting and celebrating all pupils’ individual identities.
Specifically, we aim to:
- have a balanced, diverse and relevant curriculum that supports positive relationships, celebrates cultural heritage and enables children to be curious, considerate, creative and resilient.
offer a vibrant, well-resourced, multicultural and creative environment that is inclusive to all;
develop professional practice that is consistently good or better which promotes good progress and outcomes for ALL pupils.
To achieve our aims, we will adopt the following methods:
- Embedding equality within teaching and resources
- Using key data indicators to understand the needs and characteristics of our school
- Promoting community cohesion
- Promoting parental engagement
- Investing in regular staff training
- Using key data, such as measures of wellbeing, to monitor the progress of pupils with protected characteristics
- Regularly reviewing our policy to ensure it reflects current trends and issue
In our Academy we strive to build a cohesive community where all members respect one another. We believe that it is our responsibility to provide equal opportunities for all, regardless of race, religion, gender, disability, age, socio-economic background or ability, encouraging children to become confident, competent, caring and self-aware individuals, able to take their place in our increasingly complex, multi-cultural society.
The manner in which we demonstrate our public sector equality duty is captured in our Single Equality Policy.