Art at Summerbank
Our Curriculum Intent
Art helps to engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art. Our school is committed to encouraging pupils’ curiosity and creativity, allowing them to think critically and develop a thorough understanding of art and its place in the world, including how it reflects our history and contributes to the culture, creativity of our nation.
By teaching art, we aim to ensure pupils:
- Produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences.
- Become proficient in drawing and painting, sculpture and other art techniques.
- Can evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art.
- Know about great artists and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
- Enjoy an active involvement in art.
- Have the confidence and skills to communicate their ideas through their artwork.
- Have opportunities to experience a broad and balanced range of art activities and show progression within these.
- Become visually literate and able to identify and apply the key elements of art.
- Are given equal access to the experience of art, regardless of their gender, race or disability.